Friday 2 June 2017

Two Lives - Origins (Episode I)

One fine morning...

Isn't that how fairy tales begin? I can promise you that this is as close to a fairy tale as much a frog who won a talent show in singing. Well, it was morning but not a fine one really. What would you expect in a fine morning? A rising sun, singing birds, gentle breeze, a single ray of sunshine waking you up, coffee at the table, a loving face saying 'Hey, sleepyhead', a loving day... But no, this is not that kinda morning. This is the morning I'll be reborn. This is the morning, I'll start making a difference. This is the morning, that I act on my thoughts. This is the morning I wage my war on the Tyrant Humanity that is plaguing this world. My world. My world is called Planet Earth. Yes, I can hear you saying Earth belongs to the humans. Really? The right way of putting it would be, 'Humans belong to Planet Earth'. Not the other way around. I'm not an Outsider or an Alien as you might think, I'm human too but, there is a small line that divides human being from being human. You'll decide to which I belong based on my actions and their severity, but I ask you to judge basing the reasons and the results.

A great man told me, 'Tyrants don't understand peace but men of placid life understand violence'. I never really understood both. Standing on top of this tall building, also the tallest in the city, I can almost see the entire city or at least I was able to scale my target clearly. I started playing at the edge, rolling a stone. Push, shove, pull, I always kept it from falling over the edge. Violence isn't the answer, I've heard people say who wants peace but I bet they've never had to see first hand, a politician or a billionaire mow down life in the thousands and millions so they could make more money for them, their family and friends. Was I affected by one of them? No. I was affected by all around me. There is a saying where I come from. Everywhere is my city, Everyone is my relative. I come from a place which has a history of giving to people, helping them live, become great at it's own cost. I come from a place where a legend can rise from anywhere. My language is Tamil and I'm an Indian. This is the city of Chennai in which I'm standing atop the tallest building. My target lies ahead of me, the Black shade Manor as people have started calling it, where the head of the snake waits in the dark. Pretty much everyone knows what happens when you cut off a Hydra's head. The thing is, I don't believe in myths. You're about to find out what creative punishment I have in mind for this Hydra.

If you wanna know who I am, I'm just an ordinary man turned weapon. You can very well consider me a terrorist. What is a terrorist anyway? I always lose it between the sacrifice and noble sacrifice bullshit. The stone felt heavy under my foot. The time has come. I checked my communicator. With all the technology that's available in this 22nd century, this is the most sleek of all. It's the size of an A5 sheet with the thickness of 10 sheets bundled together. It'd fit anyone's arm just fine. Looking at it, I can see the date & time on the top left corner, ticking July 7, 2117, 6:15 AM. It had many inbuilt sensors to monitor a lot of things such as pressure, altitude, temperature, pulse and what not. Below was an empty screen where you can work. I looked over the Black shade Manor from where I was standing. The fog was beginning to clear. I could see the usual patrol on the rooftop. Armed, armored & extremely dangerous. The light was beginning to rise. From this angle, they won't spot my descent. I won't be casting a shadow any soon for them to notice anyway.

I let the stone drop under my feet. It went down and down for what seemed like a long time. It hit the ground just as the timer was about to clock 6s. If you know a little physics, you'd have guessed right. Yep, the building was about five hundred and seventy feet tall. I've already calculated the distance from here to my target which was just about 300 feet. Considering that I have the higher ground with more than 200 feet than my target, I'd say it was a scalable distance. If everything went right that is. I checked if the electromagnets are working properly. The rappel lines were good but I couldn't check the grapple mechanism I installed manually. It worked fine during testing, so I just have to proceed hoping it won't jam midway. I closed my eyes and took a deep breath.

What I'm about to do is wrong in all justifications. But when there is no right, you just have to go left. Having the heart to do what no one will ever do, is the first lesson to be learned, if you want to change the world. I felt the first light touch me, warming my coat, as the sun rose to it's full behind me. A new day has begun...

I jumped off the building.

No comments:

Post a Comment