Friday 16 June 2017

Two Lives - Origins (Episode-III)

The sun was bright in the East.

I saw the fire escape on the north side. I took out the Trans-Beacon and set it on the rooftop with a 30 minutes timer. My communicator clocked it and I jumped on the fire escape. I met no resistance along my way except a few pigeons and a Crow. When I passed the fourth level from the rooftop, I came to the window opening marked on my map. From here on, there'd be security patrols guarding the floor. I have to be careful. I stepped in slowly and closed the window. I was able to tap into their security feed while climbing down the fire escape and noticed that the patrol was maximum at the northeast corner about a floor below. Unless my communicator was wrong, my target was there. I scanned the entire floor for any electromagnetic signatures which is quite common in novice security traps. I was quite surprised, well not really, when I found out that my target was on the same floor as me but at the southeast corner. No patrols but a lot of traps on the way, including motion sensors, thermal sensors and pressure plates, God, who uses them these days. Which actually caught me by surprise was the biometric doorway that was installed on the way to my target. It's not a simple biometric scanner you may have known but what it does is, it maps your entire genome to authorize your access. There's not much you can do against it unless you have a really fast supercomputer at your disposal. Luckily, I had one.

I disabled all the traps and set up a holographic projector at the end of the hallway so that if any of the patrol came this way, they'd see it only empty. I dialed 'A' in my communicator, which connected instantly.

"What do you need, Rogue?", said the voice from the communicator.

"Just a biometric doorway", I said. "I'm plugged in".

"Just a moment... and it's done", said the ultimate supercomputer that has ever existed or maybe I should say artificial intelligence.

I stepped into the doorway and without any scanning, the door to my target opened. As I walked inside, I could notice that the room was very spacious, luxurious & over the top, which only pissed me off more. Imported rugs decorated the floor with fine leather furniture laid out in style around the room. There was a dining table with fresh fruits, a few knives at the further end and a blender closer to me. I heard the sound of water from the far side of the room. Must be a shower, so I waited. After 15 long minutes, my target came out in her bathrobe. She didn't notice me as she was drying her hair. When she did notice me, there was shock on her face which turned into anger the next moment.

"Who are you and what are you doing here? How the hell did you get in?" She seemed calm when she turned into the nearby room and started dressing up.

Even though she was in her early forties, she had this commanding aura around her. Her voice was strong and she could take out a couple of trained and armed men. She was about five foot six, with flowing black hair with no silver, yet.

Once she was done, she put down the dryer on the dining table and set her piercing eyes on me. "I'll ask one more time. Who. are. you?" She emphasized each and every word.

"Doesn't matter. I'm here to take you away." She was wearing a tank top and a jean.

"No one is taking anyone away until you answer my question." She said with a finality to it.

"Mrs. Ramachandran. Or do you prefer Nameless?"

That struck a cord. She was taken aback when I said the name. She took a tentative step back.

"You have done great deeds for the state and to it's people, Nameless. It's only fitting I do the same to you."

She gained her composure, "If you're here to kill me, I'm putting you down." She moved closer to the dining table.

I smiled under my mask and walked over to the dining table. I turned my back to her, switched on the blender and put some oranges in. "And they say you don't have a sense of humor".

The next moment I felt a twinge of pressure over my shoulder. When I turned back, she was on the floor with a knife near her. I turned off the forcefield generator which took the hit. Good old move to stab me behind my back but she missed out noticing the metallic body of the blender which showed me a pretty good picture of what was happening behind me. I actually felt sorry for her. She tried to get up slowly as the knock back slowly wore off. Now I saw fear in her eyes.

"I'm not going to kill you but when I'm done with you, you'd wish that I did. I'm sorry for what I'm about to do but I need you to know that you made this happen." I knelt down beside her and put my right arm on her left shoulder. She was so scared, I could actually hear her heartbeat. I pressed her shoulder and the anesthetic solution entered her body through the hidden needle under my greaves. She slid down slowly as the solution started working. As her heart rate slowed down, I noticed the final trap. Too late. Alarms blared inside the building and I knew the guards would be here in the next 30 seconds. I wasted no time, grabbed the coat that was lying on the couch, pulled her to the exit and towards the window exit.

Before I could cross the hallway, a group of the security patrol came around the corner. I activated the projector's self destruct sequence and it went off taking out the entire group. It would take a few minutes for them to recover from the concussion alone. I put her arms around my shoulder and walked to the window. I jumped over to the fire escape and pulled her out of the window. It was difficult for me to pull her up four levels with my lean build. Very difficult, I had to drag her literally over the steps. Finally, I was over the rooftop and had about 1 minute before the Trans-Beacon was activated.

That's when I heard a gun powering up behind me.

No comments:

Post a Comment