Wednesday 12 July 2017

Two Lives - Origins (Episode VII)

"They vanished into a shimmering wall? I'm not sure if I'm hearing it right." The Commissioner was walking slowly along my bedside. "You're saying that they teleported themselves using a cylindrical device? Or maybe you hit your head pretty hard when you fell down?"

"It's not funny, man. You must've seen a disc with a central shaft on the rooftop when you came. The disc is slightly bigger than my palm. It could easily be mistaken for a cutter blade."

"We did find something that matches your description but we're in a deadlock since we can't unlock it's mechanism. It doesn't have any prints on it. Catherine is working on it right now. She's NDT-ing it metallurgically to see if we can do anything."

I tried to move my leg and winced at the pain that shot through my leg to my thigh and hip. I wanted to strangle myself for what happened and it's all my fault. But then I thought of what he said.

"Before taking her, he said to me that he's not going to hurt her and that he'll bring her back to me. He said he wanted some answers from her." I looked at the commissioner who looked at me indifferently.

"He might have been lying for all we know and we must prepare for the worst case scenario. Even if we assume that he's not going to kill her right away, he might have plans for her later. If what you say is true, we need to know what he wants to know. I've already alerted the border patrol, bus stations, railways and airlines. I also took liberty and pulled her genome from her room to give us an edge. We'll get a ping the moment they get a hit. She's not leaving the city."

"You don't have the rights to enter her room without my permission. What the hell were you thinking, pulling up her genome and sending it to everyone? You personally remove that info from everyone." I was angry at him. I didn't know he was stupid.

"Whoa whoa. Take it down a notch big guy. I may not have control inside this building but you are down and this place is a crime scene which puts it under MY control until you are fit for duty. So don't go hard ass on me. FYI, I never said anything about sending it to everyone."

He stormed out of the room. Only when he was out of the room, I realized that he was right. He never said he sent it everyone. Oh, shit. I just assumed he did. He must've given it to Catherine to monitor all biometric doorways in the city. I'll have to apologize to him later. I laid back on the bed and started replaying the incident, looking for any small things that I may have missed.

First off, how the hell did he drug me? I didn't remember that he ever touched me in the first place. He was standing in front of me dead in my face, when I jumped and fired the first shot. Then he moved his left leg towards me, made a 180 sweep move until his right leg was close to me and his left hand holding my gun. Then he moved his left leg to my right and held my gun's bottom with the trigger, using his right hand. I still can't believe he broke my gun with his bare hands. Then he hit me on my nose with the barrel of the gun.

Wait a second. If the barrel of the gun hit me; my hands moved to my nose involuntarily. So it wasn't the barrel but his hand that hit my nose. I felt the punch but I didn't feel any piercing effect of sorts. Maybe it's an aerosol and I breathed it from his gloves. But the kick still made me feel sick. The force of the kick was near intolerable and precise, like he had done it a hundred times.

I remembered every word he said, every move he made and I came to one conclusion. Either he is a professional hitman or he belongs to a secret service, could be a good one or a bad one. I sincerely prayed he belonged to the former.

I made a small calculation of time for the events that happened today morning. When I thought I saw someone on the TeCorp building, he must've been there. Somehow, he got over to our building, flying comes to my mind but that's ridiculous. Maybe not as ridiculous as the shimmering wall sounds. Anyway, he took out the rooftop patrol, which should be the time when Ram was on TeCorp's rooftop. There's a great chance he didn't see anything. I was in surveillance for some time, gave orders for the day's patrol and that's when the alarm went off. He had a lot of time in between and I think he disabled all the traps and set one of his own, the wall mount explosive. I still can't believe how he got past the biometric doorway, which brings me to my initial findings; he belongs to a secret service.

I took my communicator and dialed for the Commissioner. He picked it up and said, "Yes, John".

"I'm sorry. I wasn't thinking clearly. I shouldn't have behaved like that."

"I can't hear you, John. I'm losing network. Come again."

I couldn't help but smile. "You heard me and I'm not saying that again. Listen. I wanted to tell you something. The guy who abducted her... He had an accent. It was clearly foreign and I believe he's an agent of sorts."

"Anything specific on your mind." I had intrigued his mind.

"I think he's American."

No comments:

Post a Comment