Sunday 16 July 2017

Two Lives - Origins (Episode VIII)

General disclaimer: This is purely a work of active imagination of the author. That's me. All characters and incidents appearing in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead or places, is purely coincidental.

"I think he's American."

The moment those words came out of my mouth, he started swearing. I knew that the thought seemed ludicrous.

"Are you F-ing crazy? Am I the only one you told this to? Please tell me you didn't tell any others. This is nuts, John. It's a good thing you told me after I left or I would've kicked your nuts in." It was the commissioner's turn to be angry.

"No, I didn't tell anyone. All I'm saying is that his accent was American. And I'm sure that he's a secret agent. Don't ask me how. It's just a gut feeling." I didn't know how else to put it.

"No, no, no. Just get some rest, recover and then we'll talk. Until then, no words off your mouth. I'll look into it if you keep your mouth shut. Understood?" I felt his fear which gripped me too.

"As you say. We'll talk once I'm on my feet." I disconnected the call and slid down the bed. The United States was the centre of this world for a very long time, until a time when they stopped involving in international politics. It's been four decades since the fallout in the year 2075. No one exactly knew what happened but the United States withdrew from world politics all of a sudden. There was no more Cold War and both Russia and the United States became best buddies. Many warring nations stopped their war. Allied nations of Russia and the US were against this but they soon turned one by one. Finally there was no more war in the world theater, except for one. The Indian border has a natural defense on the north and that was cause for this war. Around exactly the same time Russia and the US became friends, war broke out between India and Pakistan. After 2 long years on war, both Pakistan and India withdrew on one condition. Jammu & Kashmir became no man's land. One third of the Indian military were dead and half of Pakistan was destroyed. Now and there, there have been incursions by the Chinese army but they never attacked and left the way they came in.

The world was more organized than it ever was. No monarchy. People were given equal opportunity all around the globe except in India. Money ruled the nation still. People died for the cause of religion. The caste system flourished as ever. The country depended on imports for almost everything including food materials. One-Third of the population lived below the poverty line, if I'm to be honest. I hated the people that run the nation but I still loved my country. After all, I'm just one man.

Suddenly a thought popped into my mind out of the blue. Someone broke into our security and we don't know the tech he used. What if we knew the one who does? But I'd have to follow up on this one myself. My head felt light and I closed my eyes.

It felt like I slept through the year when I woke up. I pulled myself up and when I did, he was sitting in front of me. I went for my sidearm but then realized I was in a hospital bed. I tried to get up but my leg still hurt. "Who are you?" My lips weren't moving at all. It seemed like my mind was talking to his mind.

"The right question, John, is why I'm here." He smiled through his B... Ball... Ballistic mask. The words seemed to run up my mouth.

"Tell me. Why are you here?" It felt strange conversing with him like talking to a ghost.

He stood up. "Have you ever had the feeling that you haven't done enough for this world? For these people? Even after doing everything you can possibly and still feel that lingering thought of, Did that really matter?".

I couldn't help but he was right. Thinking about it actually calmed my mind. I was able to relate to him. Or to just what he said. So I said, "Always".

"I'm that thought manifested over time into a form that you can realize. I'm you. Only, more." His voice was distorted and broken unlike before, deep and clear.

"I am nothing like you. You break the law. I protect it. I am not you." I wanted to be angry but my throat was dry and I couldn't get the words out with enough force.

"Says the guy who nearly beat a man to death. Are you surprised? Don't be. Like I said, I am you."

I swallowed down air. He moved so smoothly towards me and rushed up so fast, I shouted.

After a long moment, I opened my eyes. I was still in the hospital. Someone was shaking my arm. I couldn't bring her name up but I knew it was the doctor from before. Some... Ahmed.

My mind was racing. I was unable to focus on a single thought. I felt like I was hit by a bus. What he said in the dream, scared me. Or is it just my mind playing games, I couldn't be sure.

Thank God. It was just a dream. Or was it?

No comments:

Post a Comment