Tuesday 1 August 2017

Two Lives - Origins (Episode X)

W.I.S.A.C.

World Interaction and Security Applications Corporation.

This major corporation specializes in cutting edge technology for both military and civilians. They also provide private security. The communicator was their innovation. So was the bike I came in and as was the security car, which I didn't bring. They operate from several countries even though the company was founded in the United States around the late 2060's.

Following the trail of light, I reached the backside of the building with a shelter coming out of the building supported by columns. I remember Catherine telling me the name of the structure once. Is it in my face or on my face, I'm not sure. I parked my bike over to the side and got off it. The moment I stepped on the ground, a huge glass door opened. It was black and opaque and as I walked past it, I realized it was only glass on the outside and the inside. About half a foot thick metal was layered between those inch thick glass. The first thing that came to my mind was, 'God, are they paranoid?'  The inside of the building was pristine. It was so clean that when I thought about my room... No, not now. I couldn't see far in spite of all the bright lights. The halfway looked like a cross and it was surrounded by walls on all sides. I couldn't see any doors except the one that I came in. After a few seconds, I was beginning to wonder if anybody worked here at all. The next moment, I heard a voice behind me.

"Welcome to W.I.S.A.C. My name is Sharon. Pleased to meet you, John. How can I assist you today?"

I turned around and saw that it was a hologram projected from the right side of the wall. "Forgive me if I'm rude but can I talk to someone? Someone real?"

"I am real, John. I handle the, to put it mildly, things that don't matter to our company but still find their way here."

"That's not mild. That's blunt. Can we at least talk in person?" I was offended at her reply but I needed information.

"I'm sorry if I offended you but I cannot suspend protocol and meet you in person, unless and otherwise given orders specifically or if the issue really does matter to us. Please state your problem." She maintained a neutral tone.

I bit my lip in anger but I told her anyway. "Alright. Three days ago, Mrs. Ramachandran was abducted from the Ramachandran Memorial Hall. The intruder was wearing a long coat, gloves and boots, all covered up. He was wearing a helmet..." I searched for the word, "Yeah, a ballistic mask." It hit me from my dream. "He used a cylindrical device which splits into a disc and a spire, which teleported him away. On his way out, he broke my gun into two." I held out my gun. I was half hoping to see guards running up to me shouting, 'Drop the weapon'. But nothing happened.

"And why do you think this concerns us?"

"You are the only one with access to various technologies that one can even dream of. I need to know if he used any of your inventions and I'd also appreciate if you could tell me how he got one."

"The Trans-Beacon is our invention. But they are used by various security organizations worldwide and more than that, I'm not at liberty to say." She didn't even skip a beat. She was really starting to irritate me.

"So the cylindrical device is like a teleporter tech. What about the bomb he set up in one of the hallways?"

"Describe it, please."

I didn't see it firsthand but the commissioner did. So I explained what he and the guards told me. "It was mounted on the wall and exploded at proximity. "

"A holographic projector. It projects real-time holographic images for active camouflage and can be programmed to detonate without leaving a trace." She kept her voice even. I wasn't really sure if she gave serious thought to why I'm here.

"You see, I fought over the rooftop of the Memorial Hall and he broke my gun into two, with his bare hands. Is that even possible? What's more weird, I found it intact this morning." I was still holding the gun in my hands. I turned on the gun and showed her that it was working perfectly.

"The model that you are holding is a two piece gun and it can be dismantled easily without any expert knowledge in fire arms. There is a pressure switch at the bottom of the charge hold. Press and hold it, then twist the top half upwards."

I followed as she said and yes, it worked. Now my gun was broken. I put it back the same way and it was good.

"There you go. Oh and one more thing. I think the Commissioner needs to talk with you urgently. I suggest you leave here and call him back." She said with the same smile on her holographic face.

"I didn't get any call..." I pulled up my communicator and there was no new call logs. Even if I did, how would she know about it? I looked up and she was gone. I knew I can't stay here longer when the door behind me opened.

As I stepped out of the building, the trail lit up again. I turned the bike on. It let out a mild roar which felt like it was disappointed in me. "Yeah, you talk to her." But it remained silent. "That's what I thought." I got on the bike and followed the trail. The gate opened like before; just enough for me. I turned my head and looked at the building one more time. This time, the huge alphabets seemed to mock me. With frustration, I passed the gate and the disc detached itself from the bike. I should've tried to see what happened to it. But it didn't matter.

The moment I crossed the door however, I received multiple pings. I stopped for a second and checked my communicator. I saw four calls from the Commissioner and an audio message a few minutes later. I played the audio.

'Where the hell are you, John? I think he's here. Or someone that looks exactly like what you described. Worse. There are two of them. I tried to call you but I'm not able to reach you. I'm going to bring them in. Come to the Hall, the moment you hear this.'

I sensed an urgency in his voice. I checked the call log and they were all while I was in there. I turned back but the gate was closed and it didn't open this time. I turned all my anger into the accelerator. There was only one thought running in my mind.

'He's here. And he's mine.'

No comments:

Post a Comment