Thursday 31 August 2017

Two Lives - Origins (Episode XIV)

"Yes, you will. I believe you."

The voice whispered in my ears and the hand was still holding my gun's trigger. It wasn't possible and I didn't want to believe it. I turned my head and saw him looking down at me, still smiling. All my pain was gone and it was replaced by a newfound fear. I heard my heart beat out of my chest. My vision faded in and out a little. Everything lost focus except for him. It was like looking at a vintage portrait. Only this was a nightmare.

I moved away from him. "You... How? That's not possible." I did see him sitting on the bench till the last second. It was at least 20 feet from the bench and where I was standing. Maybe 25. How could someone cover so much distance in the blink of an eye?

"Relax. I'm here to help. Not to fight you. Even if I did, it wouldn't be much of a fair fight. For you. So, if you could just put aside the fact that my assistant..." She was glaring at him with hands at her hips. "Ah, my comrade, no, my apprentice", he looked at her again. She just mumbled like whatever and walked away.

"Yeah. As my friend so delicately showed you, you are, to put it mildly, not fit for this." His words really felt sympathetic but I couldn't digest the fact that twenty one of us were put down by this woman and by his 'putting it mildly'. I glared at him the best I could.

"Come on. Don't be that way. If only you had asked nicely..."

"Maybe I should've shot you first and then cuffed you. You just took down the entire guard patrol and you want me to be nice? Go to hell!" I shouted at him.

"I wasn't the one who raised the gun, Commissioner." I was raging inside but he was right. As I lay down there, the ground patrol came charging in. I heard footsteps along the stairs and the surveillance team had grabbed a gun each. "Put your hands in the air. Step away from the Commissioner."

He heaved a big sigh. "I hate it when they do that." He whispered in my ears again and turned towards the ground patrol. "Hello, boys!"

He stood up. It was obvious to me that he was superior to the woman, even though they seemed close. If she could do that, I couldn't even imagine what he can do.

"Stand down. Do not engage him." They looked around the Hall and noticed the other guards lying on the floor. They still had their weapons trained on him. I could sense their twitchy fingers. "I said stand down, dammit!" I shouted again.

He turned to my side and said, "You know what's wrong with your armor? It doesn't cover their legs." The moment he said it, the guards started shooting at him. He was moving his hands but I couldn't see what he did. He was poised like a boxer covering his face from incoming blows. I didn't think he was trying to catch the bullets because that would be ridiculous. It didn't feel like he was blocking the bullets either. But a moment later, the shooting died.

I looked at him and he didn't have any bullets in his hands. Good to know. I turned towards the stairs and saw both the groups rolling on the floor in pain. They were all holding their legs. If what I'm thinking had really happened, holy shit. I looked at his hands. A slight bluish glow radiated over his coat sleeve, it almost looked like he was wearing a gauntlet.

"What are you?" I hesitated a moment. "Who are you?"

And he just smiled at me.

No comments:

Post a Comment