Tuesday 5 September 2017

Two Lives - Origins (Episode XV)

And he just smiled at me.

The blood on my face drained and I was completely terrified. When John told me about the rooftop incident, I didn't believe him. I couldn't believe him. After what I've seen now, I did and I was afraid. I've never been a fan of the superhero genre. I always thought they were spandex clad, adrenaline injected, self-righteous in their own right law breakers. I wish I had believed in them. To witness something impossible racked my brain so hard, I felt difficulty in breathing. Now I know how John felt on the rooftop that day. Helpless. Useless. Unimportant.

He knelt down on one knee and asked me to call for medic. I did as he asked. A couple minutes later, the medical personnel from the fourth floor came down. They both guided the medical crew, even helped them, to get the wounded off the ground. Once they were all taken to the medical wing, he stood at the center of the room and looked around him.

"Alright boys. I know you all feel like punched in the gut, though that's what really happened, but that's the easiest part. Now stop being a wuss, man up and get out of here. That might be a little difficult, I know, but that decides what kind of a man you are. The Commissioner and I need to speak. Privately."

The guards that were put down by the woman started moving slowly. Some of them tried to stand. A couple of them were crawling. It's my fault that these men had to face this. If only I had shot him when I had the chance... But my logical mind warned me, what could I've done, if he had the shield for his body as well. Then I remembered how she dodged my shots. No. There really wasn't anything I could've done.

I tried to stand up slowly. I felt a piercing pain every time I strained my abdomen. She was holding out a glass of water for me when I finally stood up. It took every ounce of my patience to not grab the glass and shove it in her face. I took the glass of water, took a sip. "Thank you".

"See... Now that feels nice. Talking like civilized people, even if you want to rip us apart right here."

I couldn't be sure if he was really genuine or just mocking me. I walked slowly towards the bench. He was behind me. I didn't see the woman when we both sat down. "Where's your friend?" I asked him.

"She's around but don't worry. You'll be alright in a day. She's got a gift for the gut." He smirked at his own remark. Maybe my gut wasn't in the mood, I threw a disgusting look at him.

"So tell me. What have you found?"

His question caught me off guard. I wasn't listening. "What?"

"Regarding her abduction. Do you have any leads?"

I wasn't sure if I should discuss with an outsider regarding an ongoing investigation. But I knew one thing. We weren't equipped for this. They just made it clear. I thought I should wait for John. By the way, where the hell is he? If I knew him, he's off following leads on his own. I made a decision. I'll just play ball. For now.

"Why should I tell you?"

"You really need to ask that question? I thought it was already understood. Come on, look around you. You're not anywhere equipped or qualified to handle this, but we are. Did you check with Catherine? What did she tell you? That there's no way a biometric doorway could be compromised. News flash. It's done."

"Wait. How do you know about the doorway? Have you been spying on us?"

"Spying might be too strong a word. Watching you, on the other hand, would be the right choice. Plus he's got a signature touch."

"When you looked at the cam before..." I prayed inside, 'Please say no'.

"Yes. I was watching you." He admitted.

I felt violated. This nightmare was just getting worse by the minute. My mind went a million miles an hour, incoherent thoughts rushing in and out. I wasn't sure how long he was watching us. If he was watching us all the time, why didn't he come to help us before. Why wait three days? I looked at the door lost in thought.

And John walked through the door.

No comments:

Post a Comment