Monday 2 October 2017

Two Lives - Origins (Episode XVIII)

Now... Off to meet the devil.

As I walked towards him, I could feel my heartbeat racing. I literally wanted to kill him but he might have some answers to my questions. He was casually sitting on the bench, looking around the Hall, watching people come and go. He looked at me when I stood before him.

"Finally." He left a sigh of relief. "We need to talk."

"Let's take a walk." My voice sounded very different. Very neutral. Like Sharon from W.I.S.A.C.

He jumped up like a kid and said, "Where are we going?"

"Just... around. I don't feel comfortable talking to you here." Without a word he gestured me to lead the way.

I walked out of the Hall and he followed me. I wasn't sure where to take him. Around the Hall seemed like a good idea. Parking wouldn't be the right place. Then I remembered what Rahul once said. I instantly knew where to take him.

I walked straight, away from the Hall into the crowds of the busy street. I turned left and he followed. We walked slowly in silence for some time. The street was overflowing with people. It was difficult not to bump on someone for every few steps.

He said something. "What?" I didn't notice what he said.

"The city is falling." He repeated.

"What do you mean, the city is falling?" I was confused by his sudden statement.

"You know exactly what I mean. I know that you feel the same way too." I sensed a little anger in him.

"It's not a utopia but it's home. And I would prefer not to discuss it with an outsider."

"Let's not do sentiment here. Be logical and answer with your brain. Not your heart or your balls." I turned around quickly to look at him. "And before you think of punching me, there's general public around and let's be civil."

I really wasn't sure what he wanted. We walked in silence again. There was a 4-way crossing and I took left again.

I made up my mind and asked him, "Aren't you being a little pessimistic?"

"I'm a realist, John. I don't deal with maybes."

"What do I call you? I mean what's your name?" He murmured, 'Typical'.

"They call me 'Shield'. But if you really want to know my name, let's just say, Antony. But why would you believe anything I say."

"Who do you work for? What's the name of the organization?" The more he tried evading my questions, the more I wanted to know.

"Are you interviewing me or we're here to discuss the future of the state?" There was impatience in his voice.

"Alright. Who is the guy from the rooftop? I know you know him. So don't lie. Did you help him to get to Mrs. Ramachandran? Why would he take her in the first place?"

"Your first question. The guy from the rooftop. I... used to know him. Your second question. No, I didn't. And the third. I have a pretty good idea."

He felt uneasy admitting that he knew him. "You worked together. Didn't you?" I was confident but I wanted to confirm.

"Yes. We did. I thought I knew him but it seems that I don't. And now I'm hunting him." It seemed they had a friendly relationship.

"What happened? What'd he do?" My curiosity wanted to know more.

"He has gone rogue and wants to go to war with humanity. She was the key card to whatever he's planning. That's why he took her. And that's all you need to know."

I laughed out loud. "War with humanity? You're joking, right?"

He pulled me with just enough force to turn me towards him and pushed me away from the crowd. He pinned me against the wall with one hand and took my collar on the other. I tried to pry his hand away but I couldn't even nudge him as much. My legs started dangling as he pushed me up against the wall. A couple of people along the sidewalk looked at us, paused for a couple of seconds and then turned away, walking.

"Tell me, John Vedha. On the rooftop, did you look into his eyes? Did you sense the condescending smile on his face? You think you can stop him from doing whatever he wants? How did you feel when he just left you there helpless?"

He looked deep into my eyes. I couldn't stare away. It felt like he glimpsed into my soul. I swallowed my fear.

"Or maybe you think your silly sniper can save you. Trust me, when I say this. He's unstoppable and I'm your only option."

I felt my skin going white. He knew about Rahul.

No comments:

Post a Comment